The area of land covered by the parish shows evidence of human activity going back thousands of years, as evidenced by recent field surveys which have regularly produced Roman finds. The three villages of East Barkwith, West Barkwith and Panton were all mentioned in the Domesday Book, drawn up in 1086, as was the deserted medieval hamlet of Hardwick which also lies within the parish.
The Parish History Group was formed in 2014 with support from the Parish Council and a grant from the National Heritage Lottery Fund, and has since been actively researching the history of the parish, collecting information and artefacts, putting on exhibitions and organising local events including a street party and field surveys.
The information discovered and produced by the Parish history Group and its members will be added to the website in the sections below as it becomes available. If you have any further information that may be of interest to the History Group, please contact us via the Contact form on the home page. This section of the website is maintained by a volunteers and is separate from the Parish Council website. It has been included on this site for public interest. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the site is compliant with accessibility, there may be occasions where screen reading software does not pick up a scanned image or document.
The play area was set up by members of the PTA, on the site of the existing playground after the school closed in 1987.
The school in East Barkwith was opened in 1873 and operated until it finally closed in 1987.
The Village Hall was built as a replacement for the old YMCA hut in 1972 by a local builder A Clark. The hall is still in regular use today.
The blacksmith shop provided for the needs of the horse (working and riding). It also served as an early petrol station.
There were four roadside suppliers
of vehicle fuel in the Parishes, with two going on to provide vehicle repair and maintenance.
The mill was located on the Willingham Road, right on the edge of the Parish boundary with neighbouring South Willingham
At one time there were two public houses in the Village, The Waggon and Horses (above) and The Cross Roads Inn, which still operates today.
Over the years there has been a range of shops of different types including shoe maker, candle stick maker, butchers, general supplies, draper and grocer.
Information gained from analysis of East Barkwith census returns.
The Hall was the grand house on the hill that belonged to the Turner Family (built in 1776).
East Barkwith Station was opened in 1876 and finally closed in 1958. The station house is still a dwelling today.
The War Memorial was erected in 1921 and now carries the names of all the fallen from East & West Barkwith and Panton during the two World Wars.
The picture shows members helping to excavate during the building of a swimming pool for the school in 1964.
The Bowls Club had been going for some years but had to stop for WW2. They are still holders of the East Lincoln Village Bowls Challenge League Shield 1939 (competition set up by Henry Haslam Esq. MP).
The East Barkwith troop was one of the first troops to be established in the country (1912)
The village band was established in 1898 with many of the company joining up to support the WW1 effort . The picture is from 1912.
The local WI have been going since the movement started and are still providing strong support for community events.
The Youth Club (including the football club) was started back in the 1920s. They won the 1st Wragby & District Shield in 1921.
East Barkwith had three chapels, one on the Panton Road, one on the Louth Road and one on the Lincoln Road.
The parish did have three churches, St Andrews in Panton, All Saints in West Barkwith and St Mary's in East Barkwith. Only St Mary's Church still remains.
Copyright © 2019 Parish of East and West Barkwith with Panton - All Rights Reserved.