19th Century

Population Change in East Barkwith (1821-1911)


Thomas Allen’s 1834 book, ‘The History of the County of Lincoln’, records East Barkwith in 1821 as having 35 dwellings and a total of 195 residents, dropping slightly to 187 by 1831. 

Over the course of the next forty years the population of the village was to more than double in size before starting to decrease. 

The book also mentions that colloquially, at the time, West Barkwith was often known as Little Barkwith and East Barkwith as Great Barkwith.